Sunday 15 September 2013

Stop, Don't Go

This weekend confirmed it. Summer is gone for sure. But, Autumn, my favourite season is here. The orange hues, the sunday's that force you to do nothing but take a second and take stock of life, the blustery windy weather, the occasional orange hues, the shedding of skin.

I've been back at work this week and its been a bit of a mixed bag. It's nice to be back in familiar surroundings and its horrible having to wake up at stupid o clock. I'm craving a routine and I'm pining of the care free summer all at the same time. Thursday night bought back a regular staple, late night drives from one end of the universe to the other. And then there was Friday, a kinda recovery, a kinda awakening. Late to work, zombie-ing around, pretty incomplete.

And now here I am on Sunday evening looking to get the week ahead under my belt, next weekend promises much. And the weekends after too, life generally promises many things. So bearing in mind all of the above let me introduce you to the magnificent Baby Queens of Cardiff. If I was singing this I would sing this to many things - the summer, the anticipation, the laughter, the love, Thursday - don't go, don't go, stop don't go.

Soothing r'n'b-esque vocals, a lovely lazy guitar and that soft brute bridge, this song and Baby Queens in general will surely be making splashes in the ocean of the music scene. Having said that, 12 SoundCloud likes and 600 odd FaceBook likes is emphatically underwhelming. I'm hoping that this is representative of how fresh these guys are, because judging by their EP, talent certainly justifies a few 0's to be added after the above stats. Lo-fi, meets r'n'b - not something I would normally go for, but these guys make it work and they make it work effortlessly well. Star Light is more rugged, more edgy, more grunt. But Red Light, well Red Light reflects just how I'm feeling now.

Look, there's a metaphorical red light. I cannot wait to see these guys live. Show them some love, this song is beautifully relaxed and poignant.


No comments:

Post a Comment